Man May Lose Hand After Taking Selfie With Rattlesnake

The need to risk one’s life to take a cool selfie continues to be an epidemic across the country. This time Alex Gomez in Lake Elsinore, California was bitten by a rattlesnake after he picked it up and tried to take a selfie with it. 

The 36-year-old was picking up garbage in a field on his family’s ranch and saw the four-foot rattlesnake. His poor social media instinct led him to pick up the snake and take a picture with it. That was a bad idea — even his mom thought so.

“I’m shocked that he would have that thing around his neck,” said his mother Deborah. “It could’ve bit his neck, and that would have been it. That’s just being a fool.”

A rattlesnake is one of the deadliest snakes out there. Why he thought this was an Instagram moment, I don’t know. Even his nephew Ronnie, who was with him, said that the snake was rattling and was “pretty mad.”

Gomez was taken to the hospital after the bite. He was experiencing some excruciating pain and his hand and body were starting to swell and tingle. He is currently on anti-venom but his mother said that “his skin is already rotting away” and that he may lose his hand. 

Gomez joins Florida teen Austin Hatfield, who was bitten by a water moccasin he kept in a pillowcase on his bed, in the hall of fame for “worst decisions when it comes to snakes.”  Hopefully their mistakes will be a fair warning for everyone else.

Source: CBS LA